Friday, July 1, 2011

In Cambodia

I'm currently sitting in the T.C. Internet Shop on Sihanouk Blvd. and
I am listening to "Dark Fantasy" by Kanye West. It's a strange
juxtaposition. Almost everywhere I go, people recongize me from last
year. It's a constant stream of "Hey! I know you!"

Upon arrival, I realized that I had not applied for a visa
(whoopsie!). I got yelled at by so many immigration officials and the
woman who was supposed to meet me at the airport failed to show up. I
was greeted by a sea of Cambodian faces, and each of their faces held
an amused look: what is this white boy doing--dressed like a boy
scout-- all alone at midnight?

Like last year, stepping through those airport doors brought  me
into another dimension. Had I stepped back in world history or in my own
personal history? Whatever the case, this reality was a bit warped, convincing me that
history cannot repeat itself.

After about a half hour of calling the woman who was supposed to meet me,
I decided to look for a ride. A man, who looked like a bull-frog with his big, half stuck-out eyes, seemed approachable enough. He was a tuk-tuk driver and we got into it.
Here's a somewhat accurate transcript:

(Pochentong Airport, 12:04 a.m.)

Me: I offer you two dollars!

Driver: No! Bram (five) dollar!

Me: Thlai nas! (Very expensive) Kgnom haoy buy dollar  (I offer you three dollars).

Driver: Ate! (No!) Five dollar!

(I start walking away)

Driver: Okay, sir, three and a half dollars!

When in doubt, walk away. They'll always lower the price to something
more reasonable. At some point in our conversation, a group of about twenty Cambodians--mostly men--gathered around us on the airport curb. They laughed at my proposals and my face flushed red from their stares.

I agreed on the price, and rode off with him into the relatively cold night.
We got lost and, after I guided him to the guesthouse, I paid him the full five
dollars for his patience. It gave me something to feel good about in my stupor.

Then we parted ways.

3 comments:

  1. Haha this reminds me of the time that I went to China... all the Converses (fake, obviously) that I got there for 5 bucks hahahaha
    hope you're having a blast there Ben, miss you and all the ping-pong discussions that we used to have!!!!!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! It's great to hear you're doing well. Keep up the blog posts, we wonder about you often. Mei Mei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben!! Miss you so much! I was going to send you an email but I realized I don't know your non-andover email.
    Anyway, it sounds like a rocky start to your trip, but good to know that you made it to where you were supposed to be safe and sound. Hope everything is going swell.

    ReplyDelete