Monday, May 30, 2011

Sinn Sisamouth

It's strange how certain music can take you back to a place or time. Sinn Sisamouth is a classic example of this phenomenon.
Sophee Oeur, the nice Cambodian lady who works at my school, gave me a CD of Sisamouth's music. Whenever his high-pitched voice blasts through the computer speaker, I'm immediately transported to the village of Prek Pdao, or I'm stepping off a bus into the street of Phnom Penh, the smell of incense wrapping itself around me.
It's fair to say that the act of traveling creates a space in the traveler's mind that is open to new culture (i.e., music, art, dance, theater, or whatever else makes a culture hardly exciting). I have discovered Ros Sereysothea. This amazing Cambodian singer--who unfortunately died during the Khmer Rouge regime--sounds heavenly as she accompanies Sinn Sisamouth in their duet of the song "New Year's Eve."
This song evokes images of what it must have been like to be a Cambodian living in Phnom Penh during the 1960s--the glitz, the glamour, the fashion--and yet, a sense of untainted culture. 
Music has this strange effect, of transporting a person through time. It's as if music itself were the time machine. A person can listen to J-Lo's "Waiting for Tonight" or the Backstreet Boys' "I Want it That Way" and be transported to a totally different time and place. It's strange--as an eighteen year old, I'm considered young. But I feel that my experiences are as vast as Marco Polo!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben!!

    How are you??

    I've finally found the time to explore your blog, and I really really like it. I love the way you write: so passionate, so poetic, so sensitive.

    I remember when I first heard a Cambodian song, from Karen's computer (she got it from you, of course!): the music sounded particular and new, something I've never heard. I wonder if you could suggest any good Cambodian song to me.

    How is this experience going? How do you find Cambodia? Actually, you don't need to answer. I'll find it out following you through this great blog...

    By the way. I miss you. =)

    Nora

    ReplyDelete